Before we start anything, what exactly is iCloud email alias? Email aliases are basically nicknames for your actual email address. It is like a layer mask which hides your real iCloud mail address. You can use alias to organize your iCloud email based on email address. Use the address to send and receive email. People will receive an email from the alias address instead of your real account. Users will be able to create maximum of 3 alias addresses with your iCloud account. Alias is a part of iCloud account. Aliases are not transferable at all. So only iCloud account related to that alias can use it. But once you delete an @mac.com or @me.com email alias, it cannot be added back to your Apple account. iCloud Email Alias is specially used to buy items online, sign up for mailing lists, reserve your real email address for later. Email alias will help you manage the email you receive. It can be even used to monitor the source of spam messages. You can delete or deactivate an email alias at anytime. Deactivating means turning off the ‘Email alias’ option.
Steps to Create iCloud Email Alias :
- Sign in to iCloud Account.
- Go to the Preferences from the Action pop-up menu in the sidebar.
- Click on ‘Accounts’.
- Now click on Add an alias.
- Enter the required information:
- Alias: It must have characters between 3-20. The text that you provide will become firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Name: This will appear in ‘From’ field of the receiver’s mail.
- Label Color
- Click OK. Then press Done button.
Once you have created an alias, it cannot be taken back into its account. Deleting an alias is a permanent action. So think twice before you delete your iCloud email alias. You can just simply turn it off. All the messages are returned to the sender if you have turned off ‘Email Alias’. So you can change, deactivate, reactivate or delete an alias any time you want.
Change, Deactivate, Reactivate Alias
- Go to iCloud.com.
- Click on the gear button in the sidebar and choose Preferences.
- Go to Accounts
- Select the Alias in the address list.
- Enter a new alias name & label in the fields provided if you want to change the name or label.
- To turn off an alias, select “Disable Alias”. To turn it on again, deselect “Disable Alias”.
- Click Delete option to delete the alias.
If you still have problems about iCloud email alias, go to the Help & Support section of www.icloud.com.