Your Apple ID is like a master key to use all the Apple services such as Drive, iTunes, App Store, Mail, iMessage, etc. Apple ID is where all you important account details such as contact, security questions are stored. Your Apple ID is an e-mail address that is connected to your Apple account. Your Apple id can be any e-mail (Yahoo, Gmai, Hotmail, etc).
You can change your Apple ID email address if you want to. If your current Apple ID email is email@example.com, then you can change it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be discussing how to do so with detailed steps.
How To Change Apple ID Email Address
- From a web browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, etc, go to the web address appleid.apple.com.
- In the login section, enter your current Apple ID and Password in their respective fields.
- Then click on the arrow button or just press Enter key on your keyboard to login.
- Now to make the changes, click on the Edit option on the right side. Then click on Edit Email Address… link.
- In an empty field, enter a new email address to be used as your Apple ID. Click Continue. For this, I would like to switch my yahoo account to my gmail account.
- Answer your security questions that you set during sign up process to verify your identity.
- An e-mail will be sent to your new email account inbox with a verification code. Sign in to that email and look for the e-mail from Apple.
- Copy the verification code and paste it. Click Continue to change Apple id email.
- Congratulations! your Apple ID has been successfully changed. You can also change your name , date of birth, password if you want to from this same page.
Why So Many Steps To Change Apple ID Email Address ?
You might be wondering why are there so many steps to change your apple id email. This is all for the sake for your account safety.
During Apple ID Sign up process, you are asked to set up a security question and answer, provide recovery e-mail address and phone number. With this, Apple can know it is really you who is trying to make changes to your account. No one except you knows the answer to your security question.
After you change your Apple id email address, you can turn on two-step verification method for more security.