Your Apple ID is like a master key to use all the Apple services such as Drive, iTunes, App Store, Mail, iMessage, etc. Apple ID is where all you important account details such as contact, security questions are stored. Your Apple ID is an e-mail address that is connected to your Apple account. Your Apple id can be any e-mail (Yahoo, Gmai, Hotmail, etc).
You can change your Apple ID email address if you want to. If your current Apple ID email is email@example.com, then you can change it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be discussing how to do so with detailed steps.
How To Change Apple ID Email Address
- From a web browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, etc, go to the web address appleid.apple.com.
- In the login section, enter your current Apple ID and Password in their respective fields.
- Then click on the arrow button or just press Enter key on your keyboard to login.
- Now to make the changes, click on the Edit option on the right side. Then click on Edit Email Address… link.
- In an empty field, enter a new email address to be used as your Apple ID. Click Continue. For this, I would like to switch my yahoo account to my gmail account.
- Answer your security questions that you set during sign up process to verify your identity.
- An e-mail will be sent to your new email account inbox with a verification code. Sign in to that email and look for the e-mail from Apple.
- Copy the verification code and paste it. Click Continue to change Apple id email.
- Congratulations! your Apple ID has been successfully changed. You can also change your name , date of birth, password if you want to from this same page.
Why So Many Steps To Change Apple ID Email Address ?
You might be wondering why are there so many steps to change your apple id email. This is all for the sake for your account safety.
During Apple ID Sign up process, you are asked to set up a security question and answer, provide recovery e-mail address and phone number. With this, Apple can know it is really you who is trying to make changes to your account. No one except you knows the answer to your security question.
After you change your Apple id email address, you can turn on two-step verification method for more security.
iCloud is the free cloud storage service provided by Apple Inc. With iCloud, you can store your files online and make sure it never gets lost. With iCloud, you get to keep an online backed up database of your pictures but make sure to note that that database will get deleted after 30 days. However, files like your contacts will never get deleted so if you lose your phone, your contacts will remain with your iCloud account on iCloud’s remote server. To use all the services of iCloud, you would have to create an account with iCloud. You can use iCloud on your desktop, iPhones and iPads.
How to use iCloud services by creating an iCloud Account:
- To start using iCloud services, make sure you own the following; an iPhone or an iPad.
- Then, on your device, make sure you are connected to a working internet network.
- Next, go to the Settings option of your device and tap on the ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendar’ Option.
- Tap on the ‘Add Account’ option and within that add account page, tap ‘icloud’.
- Select the ‘Get a Free Apple ID’ button and follow the procedures that are given to create your new iCloud account.
- Enter your date of birth, then your first and last name and then choose between using your current email address (email@example.com) or a creating a free iCloud email address.
- With that final step, you are already to start using your iCloud account.
With an iCloud account, you can do the following:
- Backup your mail, contacts and special events on your iCloud calendar.
- Backup images which does not get delete for the first 30 days.
- You can also store your presentations, spread sheets and PDFs from your desktop to your phone and tablet devices.
- Media files you purchased are always stored automatically to your iCloud drive of your iCloud account and you can also transfer them when you change your iCloud credentials.
In the case, you are logged out of your iCloud account, you would need to be logged in again:
- To start using your iCloud account, first type in icloud.com in the address bar of your browser.
- Then, in the Home-screen of icloud.com itself, the icloud Login screen will appear.
- First, for your icloud sign in, type in your Apple ID; firstname.lastname@example.org and then the password of your iCloud account.
- Then, click on the arrow button for your successful iCloud login.