iCloud is a cloud computing and cloud storage facility that is provided by the Apple Inc to it’s users. iCloud automatically backs up your iOS device once it is set up. Along with the facilities of automatic backup iCloud also has the feature called “Find my Phone”. You have to set up the Find My Phone feature. It helps you to locate your device if you ever lose it and also protect your device.
You need to set ip iCloud and turn on Find My iPhone on your iOS device. To use the Find My Iphone feature you will need iOS 5 or later. You can also set up Mac computers to use the service. OS X v10.7.5 or later is required in Mac computer to use the Find My iPhone feature. Use same iCloud account for all the devices so that you can see all your devices in Find My Phone.
Setting up an iOS device
These are the steps to set up your iOS devices:
- Tap Settings from your home screen
- Tap on iCloud
- Put in your login credentials for Apple ID.
- Go to Find My Phone and Turn it ON if it is off, Tap to change
For extra security, you can set up a passcode that will be required to be entered before accessing the information on your device. To do this, go to Settings > General > Passcode Lock or Passcode & Fingerprint.
Setting up Find My Phone on Mac
Follow the steps below to set up your Mac.
- Click on Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud
- Enter your credentials for Apple ID and log into the account.
- Turn ON Find My Mac if it is turned off.
If you set up Find My Phone feature via iCloud you will be able to do following things:
- Locate your device on the map
- Play sound on your device to find it
- Use lost mode to lock and track your device
- Remotely erase all your information in the device
On devices with iOS 7 or later there is a new feature included called Activation Lock which is automatically turned on after you set up Find My Phone. With Activation Lock, your apple ID and password will be required before anyone can turn off the Find My Phone feature on your device. They will also be restricted from signing out of the iCloud and erase or reactivate your device. Your device will be literally useless to others.
This is how you find lost phone with the help of iCloud Find My Phone and your security keys.