iCloud is a cloud storage system developed by Apple Inc. It is the cloud storage space provided for Apple devices. iCloud has a syncing system for Apple users to share files across different connected devices. You can share contacts, emails, calendars, photos and media files.
This used to be a tedious task as you always had one thing or the other missing. You will need to enable iCloud on those devices and be connected to the Internet. You can sync a single device or several devices together. Then, you need to make sure you are signed into your iCloud account. You can then access it on the web or on the iCloud application itself.
- You will need to have an Apple ID or an iTunes account. You can refer to our Create an Apple ID article if you need help. Make sure you are signed in with the same Apple ID if you wish to sync several devices.
- Your iOS devices should have iOS 5 or later. iCloud can be used in iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- For PC users, you need to be running Windows Vista or 7 & higher. You will also need to install the iCloud application.
- For your Mac, you should be running OS X 10.7.5 and higher. The iCloud Control Panel will come pre-installed in the Mac Computer.
- You will need to install iTunes 10.5 and above of the application.
- If you wish to use the iCloud website, you will need the following versions of the browsers available. They should be Chrome 27, Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 21 or Safari 5 or higher.
Now that you know all the required system settings to use iCloud, you can start setting it up. Please remember you do require the above settings. If not, you would not be able to use it. First, you will be required to setup an iCloud account on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Tap the Settings app on your iOS device. You can locate it on your Home screen or in your App drawer.
- On the Settings page, tap on the iCloud icon.
- You will need to then tap on the Get a Free Apple ID button. You can refer to our Create a New Apple ID article if you are newbie.
- If you already have an Apple ID or iTunes account, use that login.
- Tap the Account field, and then type in your Apple ID/iTunes login details.
- You will then need to slider to On/Green next to iCloud.
- At the bottom, tap on Backup & Storage. Then, move the slider to On/Green for the iCloud Backup. This will sync all your files to the iCloud server.
From the iCloud menu on the iOS device, you can also select what you wish to backup and sync. You can sync your Mail, contacts, Calendars, Reminders and Notes. You can also backup your Safari bookmarks and passwords, photos and documents. Turning on the Find my iPhone or iPad will enable you to find your lost device.
How To Setup iCloud on Mac or Windows:
It is not compulsory for you to use the iCloud Control Panel on your PC or Mac. You can use it without using that application. However, it serves as a great benefit. It really works well if you wish to sync files from your PC. Or you would like to save data to your PC from your iPhone or iPad.
How To Setup iCloud on Mac:
- The iCloud software is inbuilt for Mac computers.
- In the top left corner click the Apple Menu. Then choose System Preferences to access your iCloud Settings.
- If you aren’t signed in, proceed to sign in with your Apple ID. You can also use your iTunes account if you wish.
- Then, select the iCloud feature you wish to enable. Do so by checking in the box next to each feature.
How to Setup iCloud on PC:
- The iCloud application will not come pre-installed. You can refer to our Download & Setup iCloud on PC article if you require help.
- Or directly go to this link – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283. Download the application from this link.
- You should install the software after it has finished downloading. Then, run the application.
- Next, login into the iCloud Control Panel with your iCloud account. You can also sign in using your iTunes account.
- Then, check the iCloud features you wish to sync to your iCloud application.
Now that you have learned to setup the iCloud on all your devices, you will need to learn how to use the iCloud backup. This will automatically sync all your files and settings across several devices with the same iCloud account. You will need an Internet connection to do that. All iCloud users will get a free 5 GB cloud storage. You will need to upgrade your plans if you want more cloud storage. There are different pricings for each plan and it varies in different regions.
How to Check & Manage iCloud Storage:
- You can check your iCloud Storage from all the above-mentioned devices.
- On your Mac, go to iCloud preferences, on your PC go to iCloud Control Panel. There will be a bar indicating how much storage you are using of your cloud storage.
- For your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, launch the Settings app. Then, tap the iCloud button and the Storage & Backup option next. In the Storage & Backup menu, you will see the various. You will see the Total Storage and the Available Storage in your cloud storage.
- Manage your iCloud Storage from your Mac or PC or from your iOS devices.
- Access the iCloud Control Panel from your Mac or PC. Then, you can start deleting the files from the iCloud backup. Make sure you really want to delete the file before continuing.
- In your iOS device, access the Storage & Backup menu from the iCloud menu which is in the Settings App. Tap on the Manage Storage option. You can then delete the Backup from their. Make sure you select those files you no longer need. You might not be able to recover it afterwards.