iCloud is a way to protect all your data from loss. You can sync your device with an iCloud account. That way, you can save your data to the cloud. It will also allow you to keep updating the files you sync to the cloud server.
Basically, creating an iCloud account has its many benefits. You can also activate the Find My iPhone for your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac. This feature will let you keep track of your phone via the iCloud server. The GPS or the WiFi should be on for this. In the case, it is stolen, both of those might get turned off. In that case, you can still pinpoint the last location your device was at.
Activate Lost Mode by Using the Find My iPhone app
This app is in your iCloud menu. Make sure you have activated it. You can swipe your information from your device clean remotely. This is to ensure your personal data does not fall in the wrong hands. Go to icloud.com from your web browser. Log into your iCloud account. You can refer to iCloud.com Login article for aid. Then, activate the Lost Mode.
Lock your Device with a Passcode
You can also do this remotely from iCloud.com. After you activate Lost Mode, you can set a Passcode. This is the case where you did not have a passcode set before.
Display a Message Remotely on Your Device
You can display a message on your device remotely. In that message, you can write how that phone is lost. Then, you can also display your contact information. If your phone is really lost, then the person might return to you using that information.
Now Prevent your Phone from Displaying Any New Information
This will prevent your phone from displaying any new notifications. Or new messages, alerts or calls. This will protect your Privacy.
The above steps are what you should immediately do if your device gets stolen or lost. Make sure you sign into your iCloud.com from your PC.
What To Do Next To Locate Your Device?
- Launch the New Tab on your web browser.
- Go to www.icloud.com.
- When you get logged in, click the Find My iPhone icon.
- You might be asked to type in your password. Type it in and click the green Sign In button.
- Your device’s exact location will be displayed on a map. This is only if your device is online.
- Or you can see the last location your phone was at.
This is a great feature if you wish to locate your device. It is also for users who may have misplaced their device. You can misplace your device anyway in the house. You can also make your device ring remotely. This is only if you believe you have misplaced your phone. For new users, you can learn how to set up the Find My iPhone feature.
How To Activate Find My iPhone Feature on Your Device
- Launch the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Then, tap on iCloud to open its Menu.
- You will see the Find My iPhone on the bottom.
- Tap on the Find My iPhone icon. Toggle to On which is a green colour indication.
- Also Toggle the Send Last Location On. This helps if your phone goes offline when it gets stolen.
This feature will work on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. This feature also has its own version on Mac. We will show you how to turn on this feature on your Mac in the steps below.
How to Activate Find My Mac on Your Mac Computers
- Open the Apple Menu on your Mac. This Apple Menu is on the top left corner of your screen.
- From your Apple Menu, select System Preferences.
- When the System Preferences window opens, click the iCloud icon.
- It will then open the iCloud menu.
- You will see the Find My Mac feature.
- Tick the box next to Find My Mac to turn the feature On.
We will warn you that this feature only works when your device is online. So make sure that your device is always charged properly. This will enable you to locate your phone more efficiently especially if it is stolen. You can remotely erase your device if your phone dies or go offline. This is the last measure you should take when you cannot relocate your phone. You can then sync all the data from iCloud.com if you replace your stolen phone with a new one.