Apple ID is Apple’s all-in-one account that you can use to enjoy all the Apple’s services like iCloud, iTunes, iMessage, App Store, iPay and many more. Your Apple ID is basically your email address and password that you used during sign up. All the important information like contact info, security details, payment information to buy music, apps are stored in the Apple ID.
The whole idea of using Apple ID is to have a single account for all the Apple devices that you own. You are likely to forget the passwords if you have multiple Apple IDs. Avoid sharing your account with others. Just use your Apple ID for your personal use and keep all the information safe.
If you forgot your login details, you can always recover your lost Apple ID password easily. For the better understanding of recovery and reset procedures, follow the steps below.
Recover Apple ID Password Via Apple.com Website
- Open any web browser on your computer (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari).
- Go to the web address www.icloud.com.
- Then, click on ‘Forgot Apple or password?‘ link from the login section.
- This will re-direct you to iforgot.apple.com page.
- Now type in your Apple ID, which is the email address associated with your Apple account.
- Then enter the characters (Captcha) in the image that you see on your screen. You can get a new code or listen to the code if you cannot understand the characters. After that click Continue.
- Then select “I need to reset my password” when you are asked to select what information you want to reset. Click Continue after that.
- Now choose a preferred method on how you want to reset your password. You can either receive instruction to your email address or you can answer the security question that you chose when you created your Apple ID.
- If you chose “Get an email”, log in to your email address then check for the e-mail from Apple. Click on Reset now – > link. This brings you to the page where you can set a new password for your Apple ID.
- If you chose “Answer security questions”, you need to first verify your birth-date to continue. Then you need to answer to the security questions that you chose during Apple ID sign up.
- While creating a new password keep 3 things in mind ; your password must be of 8 or more characters, must contain upper & lowercase letter and must have at least one number to meet the criteria of strong password.
- Finally click Reset Password to recover apple id password.
If you have iOS 10 or Mac OSX Sierra
The steps is slightly different, but much easier if you have iOS 10 or Mac OSX.
We’ll take you through the same process on iOS 10.
1. Open up Safari (browser) and then go to iforgot.apple.com.
2. Provide your Apple ID email and tap Next in the top right hand corner of the webpage.
3. You’ll need to enter your trusted phone number. Then you should be able to input the verification code and reset your password.
Why So Many Steps To Recover Apple ID Password ?
You must be wondering why on earth there are so many steps to recover your Apple ID password. That is because Apple is securing your account and preventing from any other unauthorized person to try and reset your password.
When you sign up for a new Apple ID, you get an authorization code in your mobile number. That is extra layer of security to your Apple account. Your Apple ID and e-mail address is not enough to reset your apple id password. You have to identify yourself as authorised person of the account by answering to the security questions.
Security questions that you set and answer during sign up process is to make sure that you and only you are the one to know the answer to that questions.
Two-Factor verification is another step that you have to go through if are trying to sign in from a rather different device other that you normally use to sign in to your Apple ID. However you can make that browser or device a trusted browser too if you want to. So basically it is for you account safety that your iCloud account hack won’t occur.